Ask a Therapist
Our professional staff is available whenever you have a question related to physical therapy, occupational therapy or a sports injury; feel free to contact us for assistance.
Please keep in mind we will try and provide you with a general response to your question. We are not physicians nor are we licensed to diagnose your condition. If you have a specific problem, issue or complaint, you should first see your personal physician for a complete evaluation and diagnosis of your condition.
Here are some of our most frequently asked questions:
- Question: I'm starting a half marathon training program, but it's so hot! How do I avoid getting sick when I work out in the summer heat?
- Acclimate - let your body gradually adapt to the heat by spending time outdoors periodically during the day versus an all or nothing approach.
- Beverages - drink plenty of fluids; water is best. Avoid sodas and energy drinks. If you like a little zest, flavored waters are okay. Remember to take frequent water breaks and replenish fluids that are lost during workouts. Don't wait until you're thirsty to drink.
- Clothing - wear light, breathable fabrics and light colors. Dark colors attract heat.
- Question: After an acute injury, should I use ice or a heat pad?
Answer: Use a heating pad or hot pad before you stretch or if you have a muscle spasm. We recommend that after an acute injury, you should use ice for 48 hours to help reduce inflammation or swelling.
- Question: How long will my first appointment last?
Answer: Your initial visit will usually last one hour. Your therapist will provide a thorough evaluation and initiate treatment. It is recommended that you wear comfortable clothing.
- Question: Do you have to be an athlete to receive your services?
Answer: At Maryland SportsCare & Rehab and Professional SportsCare & Rehab, we treat a variety of injuries. In fact, the majority of injuries are non-sports related; they may be post-surgical, work-related or as a result of an accident. Our therapists are trained to meet all of your needs.
- Question: What will happen once therapy is completed?
Answer: Upon discharge, you will be given a home exercise program to further enhance your rehabilitation outcome and prevent the possibility of future re-injury. You also have the option to participate in our Well Care Fitness Program.
- Question: Are physical therapy treatments covered by health insurance programs?
Answer: Most therapy treatments are covered by health insurance. We will assist you in determining the amount of your insurance coverage as well as the frequency of treatments.